Having Sex during Pregnancy
Home > Ask the Scholar > Family > Having Sex during Pregnancy

Having Sex during Pregnancy

Magda

Apr 10, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Can you please tell me, in Islam, when a woman is pregnant, is she allowed to have sex with her husband? If they are allowed, when in the pregnancy does it need to stop? Does having sex during pregnancy harm the baby? Please answer, as my husband and I are quarrelling all the time about this topic.

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

1- There is nothing wrong in having intercourse with a pregnant wife unless that will harm her or the baby.

2- The principle of honorable cohabitation implies that one should not force one’s wife to do anything painful or difficult.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states,

There is no taboo against sexual intercourse during pregnancy unless the couple has been advised against it by their medical practitioner or obstetrician because of some special circumstances.

We find nothing in the authentic sources of Islam, such as the Qur’an, Hadith or fiqh, that either explicitly states or implicitly suggests otherwise. It is also common knowledge that sexual intercourse during pregnancy poses no health risk either for the fetus or the mother in normal cases.

Therefore, the general Islamic rule of permission prevails in this case unless the husband and wife are advised by the physician or midwife because of special circumstances.

It is, however, advisable for the couple who are engaging in sexual intercourse during pregnancy to exercise caution and avoid positions or methods of intercourse that may likely prove harmful.

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca