Excerpted from Iqra Sense.
Although no religious beliefs can be fully based on logic and reasoning, Islam and Quran provide more than enough examples and an opportunity to examine the truth and the soundness of its message through the lens of empirical evidence and knowledge.
No one (Muslim or otherwise) would argue that critical thinking and reflection can be a major catalyst for changing of one’s life. Critical thinking has been used by many to improve their lives simply because a critical thinker asks probing questions about a situation, collects as much information as possible, reflects on the ideas collected and generated in context of the information available, keeps an open and unbiased mind and carefully scrutinizes assumptions and seeks alternatives.
This is the reason therefore that new Muslim converts would attribute the use of intelligent reasoning, reflection and critical thinking when explaining their journey to Islam. Such people cut through the hysteria created by some in the media to view Islam from a critical lens and following the truth thus comes naturally to them as part of this process.
How else can one explain the increase in conversions with the increase of anti-Islam rhetoric? How else can one explain that more non-Muslim preachers have been converting to Islam than ever before?
Although as Muslims we believe that the guidance (hidaya) comes only from Allah, the use of a person’s God-gifted intellectual reasoning has a very powerful role to play in Muslim converts making that destiny changing decision.
And once converted, they rarely go back to their old faiths simply because a faith whose foundations are built on logic and reason is much less likely to be shaken down than one which builds simply upon a set of rites and sacraments.
Reasons Attributed by New Converts
Some of the reasons attributed by people who convert to Islam are listed below. We can see that most of these reasons can only be attributed to the process of critical thinking and intellectual reflection.
1. Eloquence of Quran’s language: The uniqueness and beauty of Quranic text has been marveled by the best of Arab linguists and scholars from the days it was revealed until today. The more knowledgeable people are in the language, the more they appreciate the wonders of the textual fluency of the Quran.
2. Overwhelming scientific evidence and proofs: The Quran, revealed more than 1,400 years ago has numerous scientific facts that are being validated by science only in this era.
3. Divine wisdom behind various social issues: The Quran provides a solution to numerous social issues, a deviation from which has known to cause societal chaos at all levels.
4. Arguments rooted in intellectual reasoning: Quran is the only known religious text that challenges mankind to think, reflect and ponder over the creation at large, social issues, God’s existence, and more. Quran in many instances challenges people to reflect and think on their own rather than heeding to the loose talk of those whose criticism is based on baseless foundations.
5. A confident assertion of one Supreme Being: Quran is the only known religious book that has a confident assertion of one Supreme Being on all issues ranging from the creation of the universe to social issues.
6. Divine Text: Quran’s language and prose are very different from the language in the Hadith (Prophet’s sayings) thus proving that Qur’an is not the “imagination” or words of Prophet Muhammad, as many doubters have alleged in the past and do so even today.
Stress on Thinking and Reflection
The Quran on numerous occasions challenges humanity at large to think, reflect and ponder over their affairs. Here is some of what the Quran states:
Thus do We explain the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, laws, etc.) in detail for the people who reflect. (Quran, 10:24)
Do they not think deeply (in their ownselves) about themselves (how Allah created them from nothing, and similarly He will resurrect them)? Allah has created not the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, except with truth and for an appointed term. And indeed many of mankind deny the Meeting with their Lord. (Quran, 30:8)
He it is Who has appointed for you the night that you may rest therein, and the day to make things visible (to you). Verily, in this are Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) for a people who listen (i.e. those who think deeply). (Quran, 10:67)
Does man think that he will be left Suda (neglected without being punished or rewarded for the obligatory duties enjoined by his Lord (Allah) on him)? (Quran, 75:36)
Did you think that We had created you in play (without any purpose), and that you would not be brought back to Us? (Quran, 23:115)
To the rejecters of truth the Quran states:
Or do you think that most of them hear or understand? They are only like cattle; nay, they are even farther astray from the Path. (i.e. even worst than cattle). (Quran, 25:44)
Do they not reflect? There is no madness in their companion (Muhammad). He is but a plain warner. (Quran, 7:184)
Had We sent down this Qur’an on a mountain, you would surely have seen it humbling itself and rending asunder by the fear of Allah. Such are the parables which We put forward to mankind that they may reflect. (Quran, 59:21)
When studying the many cases of new Muslim converts, we see that engaging in critical thinking and intellectual reasoning have led people to change their non-Islamic faiths, the same faiths that earlier supposedly could have moved mountains, get diluted by the voices of reason easily heard in the roots of Islam.
A mere process of thinking and reflection brings so much to the limelight that otherwise remains veiled by distractions and forces of the anti-Islam pundits. Those who are bent to see only the negative, fail to see the light of truth and instead engage in a never ending superficial analysis to unsuccessfully prove their misguided philosophies.
There are many statistics in the media that highlight the phenomenal rate at which people are converting to Islam. Although, the authenticity of all these sources has not been validated for the purpose of this post, some of them include the following:
According to “The Almanac Book of Facts”, the population increased 137 percent within the past decade, Christianity increased 46 percent, while Islam increased 235 percent; 100,000 people per year in America alone, are converting to Islam.
For every 1 male convert to Islam, 4 females convert to Islam; TV Report: 4,000 Germans convert to Islam each year; About 25,000 people convert to Islam every year in the UK alone. These are but very few examples.