Why Is Palestine So Special to Muslims?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Muslim affairs > Why Is Palestine So Special to Muslims?

Why Is Palestine So Special to Muslims?

Questioner

Adnan

Reply Date

Dec 22, 2017

Question

Why is Palestine so special to Muslims around the world? Is there any religious background to this?

Mufti

Answer


Why Is Palestine So Special to Muslims?

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.


In this fatwa:

1- Palestine is very important and special to Muslims for many reasons. One of the main reasons is that Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa, the site of Al-Israa’ and Al-Mi`raj of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), is found there.

2- Palestine is where many of the prophets were born or died, including Prophets Ibrahim, Lut, Dawud, Sulayman, Musa and `Isa.

3- As Palestine is now suffering under the oppression and aggression of the most barbaric and criminal occupation that humanity has ever known, good people, Muslims and non-Muslims, are concerned about Palestinians and the crisis they are facing.


Responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

First of all, Palestine is precious for Muslims as it is the place where the sacred mosque called Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa is found. This was the first qiblah (direction to pray) of the Muslims.

Second, the Palestinians have been living on this land for centuries along with the Jews until they were forcefully removed when the state of Israel was established.

Now, 80% of the land is occupied by Israel and the remaining 20% is in the hands of Palestinians, but even in this tiny space they are under siege. The place where the Palestinians now live is no more than an iron-cage.

Like everyone else in the world, the Palestinians have the right to dignity, freedom and human rights.

The world needs to recognize this fact and work toward a just and fair solution to the problem.

This is the only sure way to peace. War can never solve this problem. Therefore, let us acknowledge and face the reality.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.




About Sheikh Ahmad Kutty

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty is a Senior Lecturer and an Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

find out more!