How Do I Get My Kids to School on Time?

20 September, 2020
Q Salam Counselor, Thank you for this service may Allah reward your effort, I need your advice. How do I get my kids to school on time? They are so slow in the morning. Thank you.

Answer

•Start putting your child to bed a bit earlier. This will give them extra time to relax and fall asleep on time.

•Offer an incentive for completing their morning tasks on time.

•You can always set the clocks ahead a few minutes to give your family the extra you need in the morning to get prepared

As-Salamu ‘Alaykum,

Thank you for writing to us. Getting children to school on time is a common issue many parents have due to children not wanting to get up or just being tired early in the morning.

Sleep early

There are many things a parent can do. Maybe you can start putting your child to bed a bit earlier. This will give them extra time to relax and fall asleep on time.

Often, children who have a bedtime of 8 pm will actually fall asleep at 8:30 or 9 pm as it takes some children a little bit of extra time to unwind and fall asleep once they are put to bed.

Offer an incentive

Another way to encourage children to move a little faster in the morning. You may offer an incentive for completing their morning tasks on time. 

Perhaps if your child is ready 10 minutes before it’s time to leave they will get a favorite snack or be able to play a favorite game when they get home.

How Do I Get My Kids to School on Time? - About Islam

Also, waking a child up 20 minutes to a half hour earlier to get ready for school will reduce the tardiness as they will have an extra half hour or so to get ready.

Conclusion

Lastly, you can always set the clocks ahead a few minutes to give your family the extra you need in the morning to get prepared.  It is not an easy task getting children to school on time, but with some creative thinking, it can be done!

Salam,

***

Disclaimer:The conceptualization and recommendations stated in this response are very general and purely based on the limited information that was provided in the question.In no event shall AboutIslam, it’s volunteers, writers, scholars, counselors, or employees be held liable for any direct, indirect, exemplary, punitive, consequential or other damages whatsoever that may arise through your decision or action in the use of the services which our website provides. 

About Aisha Mohammad
Aisha received her PhD in psychology in 2000 and an MS in public health in 2009. Aisha worked as a Counselor/Psychologist for 12 years for Geneva B. Scruggs Community Health Care Center in New York. Aisha specializes in trauma, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, marriage/relationships issues, as well as community-cultural dynamics. She is certified in Restorative Justice/ Healing Circles, Conflict Resolution, Mediation, and is also a certified Life Coach. Aisha works at a Family Resource Center, and has a part-time practice in which she integrates healing and spirituality using a holistic approach. Aisha plans to open a holistic care counseling center for Muslims and others in the New York area in the future, in sha' Allah. Aisha is also a part of several organizations that advocate for social & food justice. In her spare time she enjoys her family, martial arts classes, Islamic studies as well as working on her book and spoken word projects.