Revert Muslims: Can We Prepare Pork for Non-Muslim Family?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Food & Slaughter > Revert Muslims: Can We Prepare Pork for Non-Muslim Family?

Laman

Aug 23, 2019

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I have recently become Muslim, but my family does not know yet. I plan to tell them when the time is right. My question is regarding a traditional dish that contains pork. I know I cannot eat this dish with pork, but I am expected to make this dish. I do not know if it is allowed or not in Islam. I suggested beef instead of pork, but that did not go over so well. Perhaps you can tell me what I can do?

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

As a Muslim, you are not allowed to eat or serve unlawful (haram) food such as pork. You can substitute it with any other halal material till you tell your family about your conversion.

In his response to the question, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, Former President of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

I am pleased to know that you accepted Islam and you are trying to live by its teachings. May Allah bless you and make it easy for you.

Whatever is haram for a Muslim to eat is also haram for him/her to serve to others. You should not cook this dish with pork. Try to make it with beef or chicken, etc.

If your family does not like it, they will not ask you next time to make it. If you feel that you should not reveal your Muslim identity to them at this time, you can tell them that you do not like pork anymore.

It is not good for any human being to consume pork, which is harmful to all people, Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi is the Chairman of the Fiqh Council of North America