Is It OK to Send My Daughter to Boarding School? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Parenting > Education > Is It OK to Send My Daughter to Boarding School?

Is It OK to Send My Daughter to Boarding School?

Anonymous

Jul 22, 2018

Question

Salaam, I would like to know if it permitted to send your daughter to a boarding school?

Answer

Boarding School

The decision of sending the girl to boarding school depends on her age, maturity, stage of development, the issues of her being alone somewhere to learn versus being in the family unit, as well as family dynamics. In addition, the counselor advice making istakharra regarding this decision as Allah knows best and is the best of planners.

As salamu alaykum dear sister.

While I am not an Islamic scholar and I do not know the age of your daughter or the reasons why you would want to send her to a boarding school, I can only suggest that you consider the pro’s and cons.

I would look at her age, stage of development, the issues of her being alone somewhere to learn versus being in the family unit, her Islamic education while she is in boarding school as well as how it would affect her emotionally being away from her family.

I would also consider the school itself to ensure it would provide a nurturing environment, a solid education as well as an Islamic atmosphere. I would make a list of the good points as well as the negative and depending on her age, I would discuss it with her to see how she feels about it.

Check out this counseling video

A child who is adamant about not going, or fears leaving her family may not do as well in a boarding school. Again, your question depends on her age, maturity, as well as family dynamics.

In addition, I would also suggest making istakharra regarding this decision as Allah knows best and is the best of planners.

We wish you and your family the best, you are in our prayers.

Salam

***

About Aisha Mohammad

Aisha received her PhD in psychology in 2000 and an MS in public health in 2009. Aisha worked as a Counselor/Psychologist for 12 years for Geneva B. Scruggs Community Health Care Center in New York. Aisha specializes in trauma, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, marriage/relationships issues, as well as community-cultural dynamics. She is certified in Restorative Justice/ Healing Circles, Conflict Resolution, Mediation, and is also a certified Life Coach. Aisha works at a Family Resource Center, and has a part-time practice in which she integrates healing and spirituality using a holistic approach. Aisha plans to open a holistic care counseling center for Muslims and others in the New York area in the future, in sha' Allah. Aisha is also a part of several organizations that advocate for social & food justice. In her spare time she enjoys her family, martial arts classes, Islamic studies as well as working on her book and spoken word poetry projects.