Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
In this fatwa:
In order to enhance your love for the Prophet Muhammad, think of the following:
- Think of this humble servant of Allah.
- Think of his lofty morals and his compassion towards the most vulnerable, the women, children and animals.
- Think of his qualities as a boss who never picked faults.
- Through his excellent morals and conduct, he earned the love of everyone around him, men and women, young and old.
- His selfless and self-effacing behavior turned his hardened enemies into his ardent admirers who were ready to give their lives for the sake of him and his mission.
In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:
Love for Prophet Muhammad
The strength of love for Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is connected to the Muslim’s faith.
When his faith increases, his love for Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) increases.
Loving the Prophet is one of the obligatory duties in Islam.
Anas narrated said: The Prophet said:
Our love for Prophet Muhammad is bound to be enhanced if we read his seerah (biography) and study the examples from his life as diligently set out in the Sunnah.
Such studies have moved thousands of scholars throughout the centuries to dedicate their entire lives to learning and transmitting them. The library is full of their works.
Tips on How to Maintain Love for Prophet Muhammad
In order to enhance your love for Prophet Muhammad, think of the following:
- Think of this humble servant of Allah who never tired of reminding himself that he was a humble servant of Allah. He said, “I am a servant of Allah; I eat like a servant, sit like a servant and walk like a servant.” (Ibn Majah)
- Think of his lofty morals and his compassion towards the most vulnerable, the women, children and animals. We learn that he would be moved to tears for the death of a child, and he would commiserate with a child for the death of his nightingale.
- Think of his qualities as a boss who never picked faults. The young man who had served him ten long years said: “I served the Messenger of Allah ten years, and yet not even once did he condemn me for something I did wrong or failed to do right!”
- Through his excellent morals and conduct, he earned the love of everyone around him, men and women, young and old. Even his enemies noted that they never saw such expressions of love shown towards any temporal or spiritual leader before him.
- His selfless and self-effacing behavior turned his hardened enemies into his ardent admirers who were ready to give their lives for the sake of him and his mission. Look at Umar, Safwan, Ikrimah and Khalid and many others who had been once his fiercest adversaries.
- The Prophet was born an orphan and died like an orphan. In other words, his lifestyle never changed. He reminded a person who feared his might, “Take it easy! You have no reason to fear me! I am not a king, but the son of an old woman of Quraish who used to survive on dry meat!”
- He consistently and vigorously opposed any forms of self-adulation and self-adoration so that he even forbade his people standing up in reverence for him. Prior to his death, one of his stern warnings addressed to his followers was, “Do not venerate me as the Christians venerated Jesus, son of Mary. I am only servant of Allah and His Messenger!” (Al-Bukhari)
May Allah shower His choicest blessings on His servant and chosen Messenger Muhammad and his family and companions. May the Beneficent Lord raise us all under his flag on the Day of Resurrection.
Allah Almighty knows best.
Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.