Does Talking during Wudu Render It Invalid?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Does Talking during Wudu Render It Invalid?

Nani

Jul 03, 2019

Question

I’d like to know the effect of talk on the validity of wudu.

and

Answer

Muslim scholars say that though talk doesn’t nullify wudu, it’s detested except for making dhikr or when needed such as responding to salam greetings, etc.

Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr, the late head of Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee, states: 

In principle, talking during wudu doesn’t nullify it, but it’s detested. A Muslim is recommended to concentrate on perfecting his wudu, and not to talk except for dhikr and goodness.

The prominent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Ibrahim Gulhum, the Imam in the Egyptian Endowments Ministry, adds: 

According to the Maliki and Hanafi schools of Fiqh, talking during wudu is not recommended for a Muslim except to make dhikr or meet a need.

Wudu, in fact, is a prerequisite for the validity of some acts worship such as Prayer and circumambulation round the Kabah.

So, a Muslim should preoccupy his mind with fulfilling its requirements so as to prepare himself to stand before Allah in humbleness and consciousness.

Therefore, I advise you, dear Muslim brother/sister, not to engage your mind in idle talk during wudu. Rather, you are recommended to let it focus on making dhikr.

In this context, Abu Musa Al-Ashari (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “I brought water to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) to make wudu. Then, I heard him say, ‘O Allah! Forgive my sin, may my house spacious, and bless my provision.’ I asked him, ‘O Prophet of Allah! I heard you pray Allah saying such-and-such.’ ‘Does this prayer leave anything (of good)!’ he replied.” An-Nasa’i stated this Hadith under the heading “What a Worshipper Says after Wudu”, while Ibn As-Sunni stated it under the heading “What a Worshiper Says During Wudu”. Imam An-Nawawi said: The two views are passable.

However, in his well-known book, Fiqh As-SunnahSheikh Sayyed Sabiq holds a contrary view: 

It is permissible to speak while performing wudu. There is nothing reported from the Sunnah that prohibits it.

About Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr