Is My Wudu Broken If I Change Clothes Before Praying?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Is My Wudu Broken If I Change Clothes Before Praying?

Hadeer

Jun 19, 2019

Question

Does changing clothes break wudu? Is there any difference in this ruling between a woman and a man?

Answer

Changing clothes does not break wudu if the person is in a state of purity and does not do any of the things that break wudu.

Answering your question, the Fatwa Center at Islam Q and A, states:

Changing clothes does not break wudu if the person is in a state of purity and does not do any of the things that break wudu. Men and women are the same in this regard.

The things that break wudu are:

1- Any discharge from the front or back passage (urine, stools, wind, etc.), except for wind emitted from a woman’s front passage – that does not break wudu.

2- Emission of urine or stools from anywhere other than the urethra or anus.

3- Losing one’s mind, which may mean losing it altogether by losing one’s mental faculties, which is insanity, or by losing it temporarily for a certain length of time for some reason such as sleep, unconsciousness, intoxication, etc.

4- Touching one’s penis, because of the hadith of Basrah bint Safwaan, who heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: “Whoever touches his penis, let him do wudu.” (Abu Dawood)

5- Eating camel meat, because of the hadith of Jabir ibn Samurah, who said that a man asked the Prophet (peace be upon him), “Should we do wudu after eating camel meat?” He said, “Yes.” (Muslim)

It should be noted that touching a woman’s body does not break one’s wudu, whether that is done with feelings of desire or otherwise, unless anything is emitted as a result of that touching. (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti by Ibn Uthaymeen, vol. 1, p. 219-250, Fatawa al-Lajnah al-Daimah, vol. 5, p. 264)

Source: www.islamqa.info

About Fatwa Center at Islam Q & A