As a Revert Muslim, Do I Offer Aqeeqah for Myself and My Past-Born Children?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Food & Slaughter > As a Revert Muslim, Do I Offer Aqeeqah for Myself and My Past-Born Children?

Aishah

Mar 28, 2019

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Dear Sheikh! Being a new Muslim, should I offer the Sunnah of aqeeqah for myself or any children born before conversion?

Answer

Should New Muslims Offer Aqeeqah?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

A new Muslim is forgiven for all acts of the past. Thus, a new Muslim is not obliged to offer aqeeqah for himself or for his baby who was born before his conversion.

Answering your question, the late Sheikh Ahmad Ash-Sharabasy, Professor at Al-Azhar University stated:

It is reported on the authority of Salman Ibn Amir (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “For the boy there should be an aqeeqah. Slaughter (an animal) for him and remove the harmful thing [i.e. the foreskin] from him.” (At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasa’i, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah)

According to the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) on receiving a new baby, a person should slaughter a sheep on the seventh day of the birth as a sign of celebrating the new-born. This practice is called aqeeqah.

Other practices peculiar to such special day (the seventh day) involve shaving the head of the new-born and, after weighing it, giving out silver equal to it as a charity. Also, the day witnesses the naming of the child and slaughtering a sheep from which we eat and give out to others in form of present and charity.

These acts are addressed to Muslims since a Muslim is always required to follow the very guidance and tradition of Islam in all acts. A disbeliever, before embracing Islam, is not required to observe any of these obligations.

Since Islam wipes away all past sins and renders the person as sin-free as the day he was born, a new Muslim is forgiven for all acts of the past. Thus, a new Muslim is not obliged to offer aqeeqah for himself or for his baby who was born before his conversion.

About Sheikh Ahmad Ash-Sharabasi

late Professor of Islamic Creed and Philosophy at Al-Azhar University