Running a Fever: Do I Skip Fasting?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Running a Fever: Do I Skip Fasting?

Running a Fever: Do I Skip Fasting?

Haleem

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I have a question on an issue my brother has during Ramadan. He has hay fever. During Ramadan, it depends on the weather whether he is able to function or not. When the hay fever comes up, he has to take medicines to control it. If he doesn't, he gets really sick. My question is whether he is allowed to take the medicines during Ramadan, and after Ramadan, he can make up for the days he missed? If yes, on what conditions?

Answer

Running a Fever: Do I Skip Fasting?

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

As for your brother who is suffering from hay fever, he can skip fasting if advised by a trustworthy Muslim doctor.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

If your brother is suffering from fever and needs to take medication during the hours of the day, then he is allowed to skip the fast.

However, before doing so, he should check with his doctor. If the doctor advises that he should not fast as he needs to take medication, then he should act accordingly.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.