Can I Repay Stolen Money from my Parents by Spending on Them?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Family > Can I Repay Stolen Money from my Parents by Spending on Them?

Jalal

Jun 23, 2019

Question

My friend stole some money from his family when he was younger; can he return it to them by spending on them?

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

It is sufficient for your friend to spend on his parents with the intention of paying off what he owes them.

Answering your question, Abderrahman Ibn Nasser Al-Barrak, a famous Saudi scholar, states:

It is sufficient for your friend to spend on his parents with the intention of paying off what he owes them. In fact, he will have been spending on them from their money, and he does not have to tell them the real situation.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

Source: www.islamqa.info.

About Sheikh `Abd al-Rahman Ibn Naser al-Barrak

Former Professor at Al-Imam Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University