Hope to Be Punished for Adultery: Possible? | About Islam
Home > Ask the Scholar > Crimes & Penalties > Hope to Be Punished for Adultery: Possible?

Hope to Be Punished for Adultery: Possible?

Anonymous

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I am a young Muslim who arrived in Germany as an obedient Muslim and remained so for many years. However, I then strayed from the pure path and committed adultery many times with a girlfriend. I kept descending down the path of immorality and wrong-doing until I drank alcohol. However, since the beginning of Ramadan, I have made a decision to repent and to return to the ways approved by Allah Almighty. Till now, Allah has helped me to remain obedient and I ask Him that my repentance is pure and sincere. I now wish to cleanse myself from the filthiness which I indulged into, and I only wish for a Muslim Caliph to perform the punishment decreed by Allah Almighty upon me, so that my body and soul may be truly cleansed and purified. I feel anxious that I have committed adultery many times and I do not know how to cleanse myself from this sin.

Answer

Adultery

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear brother, thank you for your question.

We really commend your sincere repentance and implore Allah Almighty to accept it and purify your heart. We, also, urge you to keep steadfast on that way and do as many good deeds as you can to expiate your sins.

As for your request to be punished by a Muslim Caliph, that is not possible in the Islamic world now. So, keep your sins top secrets and ask Allah Almighty for forgiveness; He will surely accept your repentance as long as you are sincere and will never return to such heinous sins again.

In response to the question you raised, the European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR) issued the following fatwa:

We commend your enthusiasm to return to the Straight Path and we pray that Allah Almighty accepts your repentance which is, Allah willing, sufficient to cleanse you from your sins. Make a resolution not to return to your old ways and Allah will help you to succeed and prosper.

However, the punishment is not an obligation upon you and it is enough for you to conceal yourself with the cover offered to you by Allah. So, do not talk to anyone about your sins and remain determined to abide by your repentance and return to Allah Almighty.

About Esam Harira