How to Dispose of Fallen Hair and Nails
Home > Ask the Scholar > Common Mistakes > How to Dispose of Fallen Hair and Nails

How to Dispose of Fallen Hair and Nails

Anonymous

Question

I'd like to know how to dispose of fallen hair and nails. Shall I bury them?

Answer

How to Dispose of Fallen Hair and Nails

1- No wonder, Islam deals with all aspects of life, major and minor. Muslims are required to adhere to the Islamic way of life in all their affairs.

2- There is no basis for saying that one must say bismillah (in the Name of Allah) three times over nails or hair before throwing them away, otherwise Satan will use them.

Regarding your question, Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Islamic lecturer and author, states:

There is no basis for saying that one must say bismillah (in the Name of Allah) three times over nails or hair before throwing them away, otherwise Satan will use them. It is also not correct to say that they must be buried. The hadith narrated concerning that is very weak.

It is permissible to throw them in the garbage or down the drain or to bury them. If a person fears that they may fall into the hands of those who practice sihr (sorcery), then he should dispose of them in a place where they will not be able to get hold of them.

About Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid

ًA well-known Saudi lecturer and author