Advice needed for Mahr Payment


As-salamu alaykum

Dear sir/madam,

During my marraige, I paid small part of Mahr to my wife and confirmed her to pay the remaining amount of the Mahr within next few years. She agreed. But after few months of our marriage, my wife suddenly died due a brain stroke. For this reason, I couldn’t pay the remaining amount of the mahr. Some Imam told me to give the remaining mahr amount to her parents and brother. But they are rich enough and they are not interested to receive the mahr. In this situation, please let me know how can I pay the mahr.


Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

The mahr should be distributed to her legal heirs according to the Shariah. If some of them think it is worthless or not willing to receive it, you can donate it for a running charity and dedicate it for her. For example, you can buy copies of the Quran, dedicate them for a mosque, or dig a well and dedicating it for her soul.

Almighty Allah knows best.

Thursday, Jan. 01, 1970 | 00:00 - 00:00 GMT

Session didn't start yet!

Submit Your Question

Views expressed by hosts/guests on this program (live dialogue, Facebook sessions, etc.) are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.