Can Women Prayer During Labor Pains?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Can Women Pray During Labor Pains?

Can Women Pray During Labor Pains?

Anonymous

Dec 27, 2017

Question

Is it allowed for me to pray while I feel labor pains?

Answer

Can Women Prayer During Labor Pains?

1- The woman prays whenever she is free of menstruation and post-partum bleeding.

2- However, if you see blood a day or two before giving birth, that blood is considered post-partum bleeding. Therefore, you do not pray.

Answering your question, Sheikh `Abdullah ibn Jibreen, the late prominent Saudi Muslim scholar, stated:

The woman prays whenever she is free of menstruation and post-partum bleeding. However, if you see blood a day or two before giving birth, that blood is considered post-partum bleeding. Therefore, you do not pray.

On the other hand, if you do not see any blood, then you continue praying even if you are having labor pains, in the same way that an ill person prays while feeling the pangs of his illness. He still has to pray as long as he is conscious.

Source: Islamic Fatawa Regarding Women, Compiled by Muhammad Ibn Abdul-Aziz Al-Musnad and translated by Jamal Al-Din Zarabozo, Darussalam, 1996.

About `Abdullah ibn Abdulrahman ibn Jibreen

The late member of the Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Issuing Fatwas