Does the Soul Come Back to House after Death? | About Islam
Home > Ask the Scholar > Muslim Creed > Does the Soul Come Back to House after Death?

Does the Soul Come Back to House after Death?

Anonymous

Jan 28, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I just lost my only brother. He was younger than me. Now some people say that when someone dies his soul comes to the house till 40 days. Is there any truth of that in light of the Qur`an and Hadith?

and

Answer

Soul

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

There is no authentic source that the soul of a deceased person returns to his house after death.

In his response to your question, Dr. Marawan Shahin, Professor of Hadith and its Sciences, Faculty of Usul Ad-Din (Theology), Al-Azhar University, states,

There is nothing in the sources of the Shari`ah mainly the Qur’an and the Sunnah, indicating that one’s soul (ruh) comes to the house 40 days after his death.

Sheikh `Abd al-Rahman Ibn Naser  al-Barrak, Former Professor at Al-Imam Muhammad bin Saud Islamic Universityو  adds,

When a person dies, he moves from this world to another realm, and his soul does not come back to his family and they do not feel anything of him. What is mentioned (in the question) about the soul coming back for forty days is a myth that has no foundation.

About Dr. Marawan Shahin

Professor of Hadith and Its Sciences, Faculty of Usul Ad-Din (Theology), Al-Azhar University