I Have Debts: Can I Still Send Parents to Hajj?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > I Have Debts: Can I Still Send Parents to Hajj?

Basim

Jul 13, 2019

Question

I am planning to send my parents to the Hajj. In this regard, I start saving money. But I have a student loan, mortgage and vehicle loan. So my question is: am I eligible to send my parents for the Hajj?

Answer

1- A Muslim should give his greatest care to debts. That is based on some juristic rules; for example, a Muslim is not required to perform Hajj while he is loaded with debts. So, you are required, first of all, to give priority to paying off your debts.

2- Moreover, your parents are not required to perform Hajj as long as they do not have the financial ability to afford for it.

Responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Your priority is to pay off your debts; you cannot send parents to Hajj by borrowed money. Your student loan accumulates interest, and you need to get rid of it first.

Your parents are not required to perform Hajj in this case if they cannot afford to go by income that is pure and free from debts.

So, once you have paid these outstanding dues, then you may send parents to Hajj.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.