If My Brother Offers to Pay for Hajj Is it Acceptable?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > If My Brother Offers to Pay for Hajj Is it Acceptable?

Hammad

Jul 23, 2019

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I would like to know if a person performs Hajj that is paid for by his brother, should he perform Hajj again with my own money?

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Even though the basic principle is that a person should pay for his own Hajj if he is able to, performing Hajj with the brother’s money is valid. The person who does this will not be required to perform Hajj again out of his own money.

In his response to your question about the validity of hajj paid by brother, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi,  Former President of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

If this person performed Hajj at his brother’s cost when he was a child, then he must perform the fard (obligatory) Hajj when he is able to do so.

However, if Hajj was performed when he was an adult, then he has fulfilled the obligatory Hajj.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi is the Chairman of the Fiqh Council of North America