Does Having a Loan Disqualify Me from Hajj?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Does Having a Loan Disqualify Me from Hajj?

Kamil

Aug 05, 2019

Question

I have a question regarding Hajj. If I buy a house on a loan and I still owe money on the house, is it permissible to perform Hajj? Alternately, if I cannot perform Hajj since I owe loan money, could I postpone buying a house so I don't have a loan, perform Hajj first, and then maybe buy a house after completing Hajj?

Answer

If you buy a house on loan and you have paid the installments for the year(s) gone by, then you may go for Hajj. But if there are payments still outstanding, then you cannot go unless you have paid the past dues.

In his response to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

You don’t have to worry about the future payments that can be put off because they are not due yet.

If anything happens to you and you are not able to pay, then they can claim their money, as the house is a security for them. In other words, there is nothing wrong in performing Hajj in such a case.

Now coming to the last question, it is up to you to choose the last alternative, unless you are hard pressed because you need a proper shelter for your family, in which case providing for them a reasonable shelter becomes a priority for you; therefore it must take precedence over Hajj.