Can't Fast and Can't Feed the Hungry: What Should I Do?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Can’t Fast and Can’t Feed the Hungry: What Should I Do?

Can’t Fast and Can’t Feed the Hungry: What Should I Do?

Salma

Apr 28, 2019

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. I have some medical issues that prevent me from being able to fast during Ramadan. I have to drink water; otherwise my kidneys will be hurt. I do not have the financial means to feed the hungry, what should I do?

Answer

Can't Fast and Can't Feed the Hungry

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

If  you are poor and you cannot offer the fidyah, then you are excused.

Answering your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a Senior Lecturer and an Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

If you are suffering from a terminal illness and therefore unable to fast, then you have to offer fidyah by feeding a person who is poor for every day of Ramadan.

If, however, you are poor and you cannot afford to do so, then you are excused. Allah says: “Allah does not place on anyone a burden that he or she cannot bear.” (Al-Baqarah 2:286)

Having said this, I must rush to add: You should pay fidyah, if in case you become eligible to pay.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.