Dubbed the “Metro Guy”, Abubakr Abbass has become a social media sensation and fans’ Idol at the ongoing World Cup in Qatar.
23-year-old young man from Kenya guides fans visiting the historic market, called Souq Waqif, to the metro station, Aljazeera reported.
Sitting on a tennis-umpire chair and wearing a large foam finger, his helpful advice, “Metro? This way. Metro? This way,” has now become a famous catchphrase.
📚 Read Also: World Cup Fans Try Hijab First Time in Life
Though his task might be dull for many, his unique way of bringing enthusiasm to it has been admired by fans
“We love him; we love the metro guy,” one fan said, motioning towards Abbass.
“I saw him on TikTok. I thought it was really funny. He makes me laugh; it’s such a simple task,” added a young fan dressed in a Chelsea football shirt.
“He’s really, really enjoying his job”, said one impressed fan.
Abbass became an inspiration for other workers to join the fun, with many of them now donning his trademark foam finger and providing fans with directions in creative ways.
The ongoing 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar will run to December 18.
This year’s edition is the first tournament hosted in the Middle East, the first in a Muslim-majority country, and the first to be held at the end of the calendar year, in November and December.
Follow our coverage of the World Cup 2022:
- Kouyaté, Senegalese Defender: Islam, People Our Motivation in World Cup
- FIFA World Cup Opens with Quran Recitation – First Time in History
- World Cup 2022: FIFA Bans Alcohol Sales at Qatar Stadiums
- World Cup 2022: Times Journalist Fascinated by Sound of Prayer Call
- Top Muslim Players to Watch in Qatar (Part II)
- Barcodes in Qatar Hotels Introduce Islam to Fans
- World Cup 2022: Top Muslim Players to Watch in Qatar (Series)
- World Cup 2022: Here Are 6 Muslim Countries to Follow
- Muslims & World Cup: 10 Facts You Should Know
- Qatar World Cup 2022: Here Are 12 Interesting Facts
- Qatar 2022: Prophet’s Hadith Murals Introduce Islam to World Cup Fans
- Ghana Prepares for World Cup with Special Prayer
- FIFA World Cup: Qatar Reopens Museum of Islamic Art