Visible

Q:

Assalamu alaikum shaikh.  Are visible fungi or mold which is grown over surface of some food items considered impure itself and makes the foods impure?    

A:

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

As far as I can learn from the experts, the foods that have molds may have invisible bacteria growing along with it; they may cause allergic reactions. Some of them may produce poisonous substances toxins that may have spread throughout the food make us sick.

If the above is correct, we should avoid using such foods.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us to keep the foods covered.

Then I came to read this recommendation on how to prevent mold on foods.

“When serving food, keep it covered to prevent exposure to mold spores in the air. Use plastic wrap to cover foods you want to stay moist (fresh or cut fruits and vegetables, and green and mixed salads). Empty opened cans of perishable foods into clean storage containers and refrigerated them promptly.”

I told myself that we strictly follow the Prophetic instructions on washing our hands, face, and surfaces that come into contact with filth, and take care in preparing, serving, and keeping the foods we consume. It would go a long away in keeping ourselves safe and healthy.

The Prophet was once ready to start the prayer, and yet he told his companions to wait; then, he went home and returned, saying: I forgot to place the lid on the cooking pot!”

In conclusion, if the mold is unhealthy and may pose a threat to our health; hence we should consider it impure and refrain from using it.

Almighty Allah Knows best.

Thursday, Jan. 01, 1970 | 00:00 - 00:00 GMT

Session didn't start yet!

Submit Your Question

DISCLAIMER
Views expressed by hosts/guests on this program (live dialogue, Facebook sessions, etc.) are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.