Apart from serving as places of worship, masjids also represent our cultural heritage and the unique style of Islamic architecture.
There are several magnificent and marvellous mosques around the world, but what about those that are surrounded by water?
In this post, we have put together some amazing, heart-capturing masjids that are surrounded by water.
1. Al-Rahma Masjid, Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)
Al-Rahma Masjid in Jeddah is located on the Red Sea. It was constructed in 1985.
2. Ortakoy Masjid, Istanbul (Turkey)
Ortakoy Masjid is located near the Sea of Marmara. It was commissioned by Sultan Abdulmecid I and built between 1854 and 1856.
3. Putra Masjid, Putrajaya (Malaysia)
Putra Masjid is located next to the man-made Putrajaya Lake. Designed by Nik Mohamed Mahmood, this Mosque was completed in 1999.
4. Hassan II Masjid, Casablanca (Morocco)
Hassan II Masjid, rising above the Atlantic Ocean, was constructed between 1986 and 1993. It is also one of the largest Mosques in the world!
5. Tanjung Bungah Floating Masjid, Penang (Malaysia)
Tanjung Bungah Floating Masjid, situated in the northern part of Penang Island, was built in 2004, as a replacement for an older Mosque that was damaged due to the major tsunami disaster.
6. Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin Masjid, Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei Darussalam)
Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin Masjid, situated on the banks of the Brunei River, is named after Omar Ali Saifuddin III, the 30th Sultan of Brunei. It was constructed in 1958.
7. Malacca Straits Masjid, Malacca (Malaysia)
Malacca Straits Masjid, located on Malacca Island above the waters of the Strait of Malacca, was built between 2003 and 2006.
8. Schwetzinger Masjid, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)
Schwetzinger Masjid was built in 1779 – 1791 by a French architect for the Prince Elector of the Palatinate. It is part of a larger structure, comprising of palace and gardens.
9. Puchong Perdana Masjid, Selangor (Malaysia)
Puchong Perdana Masjid, also called Masjid as-Salam Puchong Perdana, is situated near the Puchong Lake and was built between 2004-06.
10. Crystal Masjid, Kuala Terengganu (Malaysia)
Crystal Masjid, built on the island of Wan Man, was constructed between 2006 and 2008. It is located on the banks of the Terengganu River.
11. Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Masjid, Putrajaya (Malaysia)
The Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Masjid or The Iron Masjid, was built on the Putrajaya Lake between 2004 and 2009 and officially opened in 2010.
12. Kota Kinabalu City Masjid, Sabah (Malaysia)
13. Tengku Tengah Zahara Masjid, Terengganu (Malaysia)
Tengku Tengah Zahara Masjid is situated near the estuary of the Kuala Ibai River. It was constructed between 1993 and 1995.
From our archives.