In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
In this fatwa:
Love of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is an integral part of faith. The sure way of showing love for Allah (and His Prophet) is by following the Prophet. See the detailed fatwa for more tips.
Responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:
Love of Prophet Muhammad: Part of Muslim faith
Love of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is an integral part of faith. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “No one of you can be a true believer until I become dearer to him than his parents, children and all of humankind.” (Al-Bukhari)
As for how to express our love for Allah and His Prophet, we find the following answer in the Qur’an:
Allah says, “Say, “If you love God, follow me, and God will love you and forgive you your sins. And God is Forgiving, Merciful.” (Aal `Imran 3:31)
So, the sure way of expressing our love for Allah (and His Prophet) is by following the Prophet (peace be upon him).
In another verse, Allah says, “Indeed you have beautiful exemplar in the Messenger of Allah: for those who hope to meet Allah and the Last Day and remember Allah much.” (Al-Ahzab 33:21)
5 Tips on how to express love for Prophet Muhammad
Now let us see how to express our love of the Prophet:
- We can do this by learning about his excellent morals and character and putting them into practice. The Prophet’s way of correcting people was through his examples and role model. So if you are disturbed to see the Muslims behave, you should show them a better way of dealing with the situation, as the Prophet always acted positively in every case; that was why he could achieve what no one else could achieve.
- Formulate a goal for your life. In the face of such negativity, ask yourself: what is one thing I can do that will cause a change? Don’t ask what others are doing since you have no control over others; you can only control yourself. So change yourself first.
- As a lover of the Prophet, you should be diligent in the observance of Prayer and other obligatory duties and stay away from the things that Allah has forbidden. So then, having done this, let the dhikr, duaa, and salawaat on the Prophet be your second nature.
- Join those who work for disseminating the true Islamic knowledge and work for the cause of Islam.
- Finally, follow the Prophet’s example of making common causes with all those who work for the betterment of the world and humanity.
With these objectives set in your mind and working towards it as your life mission, we can hope to gain the companionship of the Prophet in the next world. The Prophet said, ‘A person joins the company of those he or she loves after death.’ Allah says in the Qur’an:
“Whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger, they are with those whom Allah had favoured, of the Prophets and the saints, favored martyrs, and the righteous. They are the best of company.” (An-NIsaa’ 4:69)
Almighty Allah knows best.