I Have to Study: Can I Delay Friday Prayer?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > I Have to Study: Can I Delay Friday Prayer?

Kamil

Jun 28, 2019

Question

As-salamu`alykum. It was recently brought to my attention by some brothers at school that Jumuah (Friday Prayer) can only be performed at the exact time of Zhuhr Prayer. Zhuhr time in Toronto is at 1:30 pm but since classes don't finish until 3:00 pm, we do Jumuah Prayer after school. After discussing this with an Imam, he said that Jumuah could be made any time before Asr time (which is at 5:00 pm). Which view is consistent with the Shari`ah?

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

A Muslim should not miss Friday Prayer. It should be performed at the time of Zhuhr. In exceptional circumstances, Friday Prayer may be performed before Asr time.

In response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states,

According to the vast majority of jurists—including the scholars of the four schools of jurisprudence—the proper time for Friday Prayer is the same time of Zhuhr (noon Prayer).

It is, however, considered preferable not to delay it unnecessarily as the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had never delayed Friday Prayer.

However, since the time of Zhuhr extends until the time of Asr begins, if, due to circumstances ,you could not perform it at the preferred time, you can still perform Friday Prayer any time before the arrival of `Asr.

You have another valid option as well. According to Imam Ahmad, you can pray Friday Prayer before zawal (the time of the sun’s zenith). If you have no choice, then you are free to follow this option. Although this view is that of the minority, it is still better than missing Jumu`ah.

We must know that the Islamic Shari`ah takes into account people’s genuine hardships and circumstances, and so in face of every hardship, there is some kind of latitude and flexibility allowed in the Shari`ah.

So we are only making the laws of Allah hard upon us by failing to recognize the inner flexibility in the laws of Allah.