Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
In this fatwa:
1- Indeed, the Muslim Ummah is passing through hard times these days. So, each one should shoulder his/her responsibility according to his/her abilities and position.
2- All Muslims should spare no effort to help those oppressed and suffering brothers and sisters, especially the Syrian refuges via providing them with what they need, if possible, or propagating their suffering.
Responding to your question, Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD, Islamic Studies in English, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Sciences al-Madinah International University (Mediu), states,
It is a sorrowful and pitiful condition indeed. However, each of us has a role to play because this condition is the result of the Muslims’ negligence of the teachings of their religion. Therefore, every Muslim should do the following:
1. Change his/her life to be in accordance with the teachings of Islam.
2. Try to change those around him and guide them to the religion.
3. Propagate the troubles of Muslims asserting that they are due to the negligence of the religion.
4. Pray earnestly to Allah Almighty to help Muslims overcome this hard period of their history.
5. Try to help our fellow brothers and sisters in any available means such as collecting charity for them, offering food and clothes for them, stirring public opinion to support them, etc.
Allah Almighty knows best.