Is Wudu Required for Performing Hajj Rituals?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Is Wudu Required for Performing Hajj Rituals?

Shahid

Jul 11, 2019

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. Should I perform ablution for all the rituals of Hajj?

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Wudu is not a requirement for any of the rituals other than tawaf.

Answering your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a Senior Lecturer and an Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

We are recommended to be in a state of wudu for hajj rituals such as tawaf, sa`i, pelting the stone pillar, etc. However, wudu is not all a requirement for any of the rituals other than tawaf, according to the vast majority of scholars.

Therefore, rituals such as sai and pelting are perfectly valid without wudu.

There is also a minority such as Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn Hazm who are of the opinion that while wudu is recommended for tawaf, it is still valid without it.

Having said this, I would rush to point out since the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that all of the rituals of Hajj are instituted to celebrate the remembrance of Allah, we are encouraged to be in a state of purity.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.