Is It Permissible to Open a Bank Checking Account?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Is It Permissible to Open a Bank Checking Account?

Hola

Aug 18, 2019

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I’m obliged to open a checking bank account so that the company where I work can transfer my salary to it. Also, my pension from an earlier official work, from which I had retired, is transferred to this account. Really I’m not comfortable with this. Could you kindly enlighten me if it is OK to continue dealing with this account according to Islam’s rulings?

Answer

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Dr. Monzer Kahf is a professor and consultant/trainer on Islamic banking, finance, Zakah, Awqaf, Islamic Inheritance, Islamic estate planning, Islamic family law, and other aspects of Islamic economics, finance, Islamic transactions (Mu'amalat). Dr. Monzer Kahf is currently Professor of Islamic Finance & Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Management, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University, Turkey