How Can I Best Guide My Husband in His Financial Dealings?

16 September, 2019
Q As-salamu `alaykum. Please, advise me how I can help my husband with his financial dealings. He seems to be getting in debt; has a tendency of writing off checks with no balance in the bank, not with the intention of cheating, but because he expects to be paid by a client soon. But if that client doesn’t pay on time, the bank account goes in the negative. I advise him in his business dealings, but he usually doesn’t take it. I don’t want to hurt his feelings and, at the same time, I don’t want him to be in a financial distress. What’s the correct way to advise him or help him without hurting his ego? Thank you.


Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

In this fatwa:

1- You have to continue advising your husband and trying hard to convince him to avoid impermissible dealings.

2- You can seek help of your family or community members and friends you involve in your family affairs.

Responding to your question, Dr. Hatem Al-Hajj, Dean of the College of Islamic Studies at Mishkah University and a member of the Permanent Fatwa Committee for the Assembly of Muslim Jurists in America (AMJA), states:

Continue your gentle reminders to your husband to avoid these impermissible dealings. Find him materials to read or listen to, which may soften his heart and/or persuade him of the wrong he is committing.

If his immediate family already knows, seek their assistance; otherwise don’t tell them.

Encourage him to take a holistic approach in his relationship with Allah and to surrender completely in all areas of life, because the partial treatment of one problem, when not coupled with a complete submission to the complete divine prescription for human well-being will be like patching a hole in an old, worn out attire, for it will soon get another hole in a different spot.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.