Girl Talk: Which Feminine Discharges Invalidate Fasting?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Girl Talk: Which Feminine Discharges Invalidate Fasting?

Arwa

Question

As-salamu ` alaylum. What to do when you forgot what you got? I mean if I get white discharges, does it mean my fast was not valid? I forget what I got and for how many days because all I know is that I wasn't aware of all these before. Please, help me; do I have to fast before Ramadan? What to do in case of doubt?

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

If the discharges are like the normal discharges, they do not invalidate the fast. But if they were due to menses, postnatal bleeding or sexual orgasm, they nullify the fast and you have to make up for these days.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

I do not understand your question. Do you mean you ejaculated due to orgasm? If this is the case, if it was due to your deliberate actions, your fast is nullified.

If, on the other hand, you mean the normal white discharge women experience, it does not invalidate the fast.

Menses and postnatal bleeding invalidate the fast, and so does any sexual activity while fasting.

According to the principles of jurisprudence, doubts do not remove certainty. So, you don’t need to bother about doubts unless you have reasons to believe you have invalidated your fast. In this case, you ought to make up the fasts.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.