Can I Accept Food from Non-Muslims for Iftar?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Can I Accept Food from Non-Muslims for Iftar?

Saleem

Question

Can the mosque accept food for iftar or money for iftar in Ramadan from a non-Muslim?

Answer

1- There is nothing wrong if Muslims accept food for iftar in Ramadan offered by non-Muslims.

2- There is nothing wrong if they accept money from non-Muslims to buy iftar.

Answering your question, the Fatwa Center at Islam Q and A, states:

There is nothing wrong with the Muslims accepting food for iftar in Ramadan offered by non-Muslims, just as there is nothing wrong with accepting money from non-Muslims to buy iftar.

The most that can be said about this food is that it is a gift, and the Prophet (peace be upon him) accepted gifts from some of the disbelievers.

It was narrated that Abu Humayd As-Saidi said: We went on campaign with the Prophet to Tabook, and the King of Aylah gave the Prophet a gift of a white mule and a cloak. (Al-Bukhari)

Al-Abbas ibn Abd al-Muttalib said, regarding the battle of Hunayn: The Messenger of Allah was riding a white mule of his that was given to him as a gift by Farwah ibn Nufathah al-Judhami. (Muslim)

It was narrated from Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah be pleased with him) that Ukaydir of Doomah gave the Prophet a garment of silk, and he gave it to Ali and said: “Cut it up to make head coverings for the Fatimahs.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

An-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“This hadith indicates that it is permissible to accept the gift of a disbeliever.” (Sharh Muslim 14/50-51)

It was narrated from Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) that a Jewish woman brought some roast lamb to the Prophet and he ate from it. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

It says in Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Da’imah, 10/470:

“It is permissible to eat these sweets that the non-Muslims offer to Muslims on ordinary – not religious – occasions, such as the birth of a child and the like, because this comes under the heading of accepting the gift of a disbeliever, and it is proven from the Prophet that he accepted the gifts of the disbeliever.”

Source: www.islamqa.info

About Fatwa Center at Islam Q & A