Non-Muslim Parents Forbid Me to Fast: What Can I Do?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Non-Muslim Parents Forbid Me to Fast: What Can I Do?

Anonymous

Question

If a young woman converted to Islam and lives with her non-Muslim parents, who categorically forbid her from fasting, what should she do if they deprive her housing for that? Thank you.

Answer

1- A new Muslim has to strongly maintain his/her family and kinship ties while practicing his/her religious duties as much as possible.

2- Hence, the questioner is urged to wisely deal with the matter. He/she may fast some days according to his/her best capacity and then make up for the missed fast-days later.

Answering your question, Dr. Wael Shehab, PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University and currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada, states:

A new Muslim should practice Islam as much as he/she can. If it is extremely difficult for him/her to fast for the whole month of Ramadan, he/she may fast some days according to his/her best capacity and then make up for the missed fast-days later when he/she becomes able to.

If a new Muslim faces some problems with parents, he/she should wisely do his/her best to solve these problems. It is not a must for him/her to tell them he/she is fasting; he/she may tell them that he/she couldn’t eat for “some” reasons.

He/she should look for workable solutions that enable him/her to fast and avoid clashes with his/her parents at the same time.

About Dr. Wael Shehab

Dr. Wael Shehab has a PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University. He is currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada.