Is It Permissible to Moisten My Lips with Balm While Fasting?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Is It Permissible to Moisten My Lips with Balm While Fasting?

Sahar

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. What is the ruling on a fasting person using ointment to treat dryness of the lips?

Answer

Can I Use Ointment to Treat Dryness of the Lips While Fasting?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

There is nothing wrong with a person using ointment to moisturize the lips or nose.

Answering your question, the late Saudi prominent Sheikh Ibn `Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) states: 

There is nothing wrong with a person using ointment to moisturize the lips or nose, or moistening them with water, or with a cloth and the like, but he should avoid anything that could reach the throat.

But if anything reaches the throat without him intending it to, there is no sin on him, just as if he rinses his mouth and some water reaches his throat by accident, his fast is not invalidated by that.

Source: www.islamqa.info

About Sheikh Muhammad ibn Salih Al-`Uthaymeen