fbpx

Can a Raped Woman Be Married?

02 August, 2016
Q As-salamu `alaykum. I'm a Muslim woman. I have a child but never been married. I was raped when I was 18 years old. I wonder if it is Islamically permissible to for a woman like me to get married?

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear sister, thank you for trusting us and for your question. We are really sympathizing with you.

Blue Angel Farm Multivitamin

As for your question, you are not considered guilty for what you have mentioned as you were, as you said, forced to do it.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states,

If you were raped, that is not a sin on your part. How can it be when you were simply a victim? Islam does not blame the victims but those who perpetrate such crimes. Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Verily Allah has pardoned [or been lenient with] for me my Ummah: their mistakes, their forgetfulness, and that which they have been forced to do under duress.”(Ibn Majah and Al-Bayhaqi)

So, you have nothing wrong in Allah’s sight. Rather, you stand to gain His mercy for He is all-Merciful to those who have been oppressed.

In light of this, the question does not arise. You are equally eligible for marriage as any other chaste women. In fact, a person who chooses to marry you will be doing a most virtuous deed, meriting tremendous rewards.