Accepting Invitation of Non-Muslim Neighbor: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Muslim affairs > Accepting Invitation of Non-Muslim Neighbor: OK?

Hilal

Dec 16, 2016

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I have the following question: my non-Muslim neighbors are inviting me to visit them and eat their dinner. Is it allowed to eat their food which doesn't contain pork?

Answer

Accepting Invitation of Non-Muslim Neighbor

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah’s Sake, meet your expectations.

In the first place, we would like to anchor the basis concept that Islam orders the Muslim to be kind towards all people, whether they are Muslims or non-Muslims. At school, at the market, in your neighborhood, you should deal with all and sundry with due kindness and compassion.

In a show of kindness with your non-Muslim neighbors, you are permitted to share meals with them and to accept their invitation at home as long as there is no pork, wine or any other prohibited food- for a Muslim- is served on the table.

There is nothing wrong in Islam that you accept your neighbors’ invitation to dinner and to share the meal with them as long as the precautions mentioned above are observed.

About Ask the Scholar Editor