Intercourse During the Day of Ramadan: OK?

06 June, 2016
Q As-salamu `alaykum. I am married and want to know if I can have intercourse with my husband during the day in Ramadan if we are not fasting due to any reason. I know that having intercourse during fasting is prohibited but what if we are not fasting due to some reason? Can we have intercourse during the day in Ramadan?

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear sister, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

First of all, we have to clarify that a man must never break the fast of any days of Ramadan with no legal excuse. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was reported to have said, “Whoever breaks his or her fast for one day of Ramadan deliberately without any legal concession, then even if he observed fast for life, it would not compensate for that day.”

In his response to your question, Dr. Marawan Shahin, Professor of Hadith and its Sciences, Faculty of Usul Ad-Din (Theology), Al-Azhar Univ. states:

It was far better to clarify the reason of breaking the fast in that day as it affects the answer from a certain angel. Anyway, you have to know that the day of Ramadan has some sort of sacredness irrespective of one is observing fasting on that day or not. We have to take into consideration that sacredness and thus we see that husband and wife are not permitted to have intercourse in the day of Ramadan even if they are not fasting because of sacredness of the days of Ramadan.

Also, it should be stressed that one is prohibited to break the fasting of any day of Ramadan without any legal excuse. We ask Allah Almighty to help you consider the sacredness of Ramadan and to grant you happiness in this worldly life and in the Hereafter.