Protected: Slavery and concubinage

14 January, 2017
Q Assalamualaikum, I hope you are well by the grace of Almighty. I am Shibanul Haque from Bangladesh. I just can not help but have to ask you some questions. Please take a look. I have to know it because it is really disturbing me. I have to eradicate my misconceptions if I have any. 1. Was it permissible to have an intimate relationship with POW's without marriage after the period of iddah. Was marriage required for this kind of relationship or just consent of POW's was enough? 2. It has been said in the Quran verse no. 47:4 that, either one can free POW's for generosity or for ransom. That was done by Prophet PBUH during battle of Badr. But this was not followed in the battle with bani al mustaliq or in khayber or in case of banu qurayza, why? Why people of these tribes enslaved after the clear commandment of Quran that either pow's can be freed or ransomed but not to be enslaved. Am I missing something? 3. It has been said that, only slave was allowed to be distributed as war booty and can be taken as a slave. A free person can not be enslaved, they should be freed or ransomed. Although there was exception in case of Banu Qurayza. In case of Banu al mustaliq and in the battle of khaybar, Juwayriyyah RA and Safiyyah RA both were enslaved and then freed. Why? Were not they free person? Why they were distributed as a slave? 4. Is MARIAH (RA) is an UMMUL-MOMINEEN? Because some historians say that Prophet (PBUH) married her i.e. IBN KATHIR but somewhere it says that HE did not i.e. TABARI. If Prophet PBUH did not marry her, why did not he marry her? Can you please elaborate? 5. Can you please describe the context of Surah At Tahrim verse no 1 to 6. Because I think the background of those verses very much delicate. So I need to hear from a Scholar. Please let me know Sir. I have searched everywhere possible to get an answer. But, I could not do so. I will be eagerly waiting for your reply, Sir. I am in very much depression about this slavery and concubinage issue. Regards Shibanul Haque

Answer

This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty is a Senior Lecturer and an Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada