Husband Doesn't Fast, Will He Spoil My Kids? | About Islam
Home > Ask About Parenting > Young Hearts & Minds > Husband Doesn’t Fast, Will He Spoil My Kids?

Husband Doesn’t Fast, Will He Spoil My Kids?

D

Question

Dear Counselor, I'm a married woman and I have 4 kids. I'm trying to raise my children Islamically and they are all good Masha'Allah. They are praying and fasting Ramadan, and going to the mosque. The problem is that my husband is not a practicing Muslim. He doesn't pray or fast. I'm afraid his behavior will spoil my kids. Help me what to do?

Answer

Husband Doesn't Fast, Will He Spoil My Kids?

•As long as the children have been rooted in Islamic activities, insha’Allah they will not be “spoiled” by their father’s lack of practicing.

• They may indeed, one day, encourage him in a loving way to practice as well.”

As salamu alaykum sister,

May Allah reward you for your diligence in teaching your children Islam. It sounds as if they have a solid foundation in their Islamic beliefs as they are praying and fasting. While you did not mention their ages, this is a blessing alhumdulillah.

As far as your husband goes, insha’Allah over time once he sees how Islam has benefited his children as well as his wife, he may insha’Allah begin to practice again. We never know how our actions will affect others so insha’Allah make duaa for your husband that he returns to practicing Islam.

Husband Doesn't Fast, Will He Spoil My Kids? - About Islam

As long as you have the children rooted in Islamic activities and friends, insha’Allah they will not be “spoiled” by their father’s lack of practicing and may indeed one day also encourage him in a loving way to practice as well.

While nothing is guaranteed, and we are tested in this life, you have given your children a wonderful start by planting the seeds of Islam in their hearts, insha’Allah it will continue to grow.

Make duaa to Allah SWT that they are protected and guided down the right path and are strong enough to not be affected by those around them who do not practice.

You’re in our prayers sister please let us know how you are doing.

***

Fasting Is Extremely Difficult for My Daughter, How to Help?

Ramadan: Blessing or Deprivation?

Teenage Son Isolates Himself During Ramadan

About Aisha Mohammad

Aisha received her PhD in psychology in 2000 and an MS in public health in 2009. Aisha worked as a Counselor/Psychologist for 12 years for Geneva B. Scruggs Community Health Care Center in New York. Aisha specializes in trauma, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, marriage/relationships issues, as well as community-cultural dynamics. She is certified in Restorative Justice/ Healing Circles, Conflict Resolution, Mediation, and is also a certified Life Coach. Aisha works at a Family Resource Center, and has a part-time practice in which she integrates healing and spirituality using a holistic approach. Aisha plans to open a holistic care counseling center for Muslims and others in the New York area in the future, in sha' Allah. Aisha is also a part of several organizations that advocate for social & food justice. In her spare time she enjoys her family, martial arts classes, Islamic studies as well as working on her book and spoken word poetry projects.