Peace be upon you dear sister, Thank you so much for this question about whether you should wear only black, and for your apparent desire to seek what’s purest and most righteous in the sight of your Creator.
With regards to your question: No, you do not have to limit yourself to wearing only black.
First of all, please refer to our previous answer here on why women choose to wear black and its reference in the Sunnah. It is not mandatory, but some women find it to be the most modest and farthest away from fitnah, adornment or bringing unnecessary attention to themselves.
Secondly, with regards to the conditions of hijab, the scholars have identified the following:
- It should cover all the body apart from what has been exempted (face and hands at most).
- It should not be an adornment in and of itself.
- It should be thick and not transparent.
- It should be loose, not describing any part of the body.
- It should not be perfumed.
- It should not resemble men’s clothing.
- It should not resemble the dress of disbelieving women.
- It should not be a garment of fame and vanity.
You can wear what you want within what’s mentioned above. These requirements primarily exclude anything that is immodest or attracts unnecessary attention or objectifies the body in public. It allows her to communicate only what’s important: her intellect, soul, and valuable contributions to the society beyond her physical body.
We hope this answers your question. Please keep in touch.
Please continue feeding your curiosity, and find more info in the following links: