I Am Scared of Wearing My Hijab: I Want To Take It Off! | About Islam
Home > Ask About Islam > I Am Scared of Wearing My Hijab: I Want To Take It Off!

I Am Scared of Wearing My Hijab: I Want To Take It Off!

Anonymous

Jul 03, 2019

Question

Hi, I'm Aishat I move to the united state a year ago, while I was in my home country Nigeria with my mum and siblings I use my hijab though not all the time and my mum never complain about it.but when my family moved to the US with my dad he said i have to start using my hijab regularly and he even banned me from using scarfs though i felt pressured and i dislike the idea i could not say no to him. After some times i started school and I notice people do not want to talk to me even teachers behave strangely and me being someone that makes friend easily i became worried about it, i feel like I'm not myself before the mandatory use of hijab i take pictures of every single day of my life but now i don't because i feel ugly, i make friends easily but now i don't have the confidence to talk to people. Then i started hearing news about hate crimes and I'm always afraid to go out, whenever i am in public i feel nervous and whenever i am alone i have weird thoughts, with all this i made up my mind that i want to take off my hijab but i don't know how to tell my dad.

Answer

About Umm Muadh

Umm Muadh is a student at AOU university studying Islamic studies and currently resides in Texas, USA with her husband and four beautiful children!