TORONTO – Muslims in Canada have rushed to raise funds for the victims of the horrible attack which struck Toronto Monday afternoon, and left 10 killed with 15 injured after a man driving a van ran down numerous pedestrians in southern Toronto.
“We are deeply saddened and offer our condolences to the families of the victims and those injured. Our thoughts and prayers go out to our entire Toronto community,” Islamic Relief Canada said in the fundraiser set up to help victims and their families.
“Together, let’s encourage love, tolerance, and unity and extend our support to all those who need it during this difficult time. Donations will go towards easing the burden of expenses on these families.”
Police arrested Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, Ont., Monday after he ran down pedestrians on a bustling stretch of Yonge Street north of downtown Toronto.
Scheduled to appear in court Tuesday at 10 am, Minassian was arrested after a brief sidewalk standoff with a lone police officer not far from the carnage.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said late Monday that the federal government is “monitoring this situation closely.”
He offered his condolences to the loved ones of those who were killed, adding, “We should all feel safe walking in our cities and communities.”
Along with Islamic Relief, Canada Zakat, an organization dedicated to community service and education, has also created a Go Fund Me page to raise money for funeral expenses. The goal is set at $1 million.
“This fund is being setup by Canada Zakat (a Project of www.dawanet.ca). Funds are being raised for funeral expenses of the victims who lost their lives,” Canada Zakat said.
“Our hearts go out to the families of the victims of today’s tragedy. You are in our thoughts and prayers! Canada Zakat’s also exploring other ways of assisting those affected.”
DawaNet helped raise more than $800,000 for the victims and their families of last year’s mosque shooting in Quebec.