Zakah and Charity: Any Difference? | About Islam
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Zakah and Charity: Any Difference?

Zakah and Charity: Any Difference?

Anonymous

Jan 15, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I would like to know some details about Islam. I would like to know the biggest difference between Zakah and charity. Also, I would like to know the correct order, manner and where I can give my Zakah. I read about it so much on the Internet but the picture did not get any clearer. I would really appreciate your answer.

Answer

Can I Give Zakah to Relief Organizations

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Indeed, Zakah is totally different from charity in many aspects. Zakah is obligatory and paid every year at a fixed rate while charity is optional.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

The matter is simple. Zakah is a financial pillar of Islam. It is the right of the poor in the wealth of the rich. Also, it is to be given to the poor and needy not to any religious hierarchy, meanwhile charity is not really obligatory.

The rate of Zakah is determined by Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) as revealed to Him from Allah Almighty.

As for livestock and agricultural products, it is at 2.5% of the balance of wealth and savings at the end of every year. We use lunar year for it as done by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). Also, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) determined items that are exempted from Zakah payment such as the residence, cloth, furniture and books used for studying/learning etc.

Every Muslim, male or female, major or minor (for the latter by guardian) is required to pay it if he is rich enough (this is defined by having an amount called nisab) and this amount stays with the owner for one year, this amount of nisab is determined by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as 20 Dinar of gold or 200 Dirham of silver which were the currencies at his time.According to my estimate, this is now about $1500.

Finally Zakah is a yearly duty that must be repeated at the end of every lunar year; the first such year begins on the day you acquire nisab for the first time.

For some more details on calculation please consult my website, www.kahf.net the publication called, Calculation of Zakah for Muslims in North America.

On the other hand, charity (sadaqah in Arabic) is optional and voluntary and for which a Muslim gets abundant reward.

About Ask the Scholar Editor