Paying Zakah on Savings: A Must?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Paying Zakah on Savings: A Must?

Paying Zakah on Savings: A Must?

Hany

Dec 14, 2017

Question

I have been working for the last 32 years. Although Islam urges Muslims to pay Zakah on their savings/excess on expenditure, I have been paying 2.5% or more on my total earnings every year, and still continue to do so. Kindly enlighten me; do I have to still pay Zakah on my belongings (house, household items, vehicle, gold, etc.) which have been assigned to my wife and children although I’m still paying on my earnings year by year?

Answer

Paying Zakah on Savings

All the materials and stuff that are personally used are not subject to Zakah.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

What you are paying I suppose you intend by it to cover Zakah plus, anything above the required Zakah is a charity which is highly rewarded.

The house you live in, the car for personal and family transportation, the household furniture, the appliances and the like are all exempted from Zakah and you need not count them when you estimate the due amount of Zakah.

Gold is subject to Zakah if, when added to other Zakatable assets such as savings, bank accounts, investment in share and the like, it reaches the amount of nisab which is approximately about US$ 1500.

Each person, including minors, calculates his Zakah separately and you pay the Zakah due on children and wife yourself from your own income.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies