Should I Pay Zakah for the Gold I Wear?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Should I Pay Zakah for the Gold I Wear?

Should I Pay Zakah for the Gold I Wear?

Nadeen

Nov 13, 2017

Question

As-salaamu `alaykum. I have some jewelry that exceed the nisab (zakatable amount), but I rarely wear them, just on occasions. Do I have to pay zakah for that? If yes, how much should I pay? Jazak Allah Khairan.

Answer

Should I Pay Zakah for the Gold I Wear?

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

According to some jurists, the gold worn by women is not subject to zakah, as long as it is not for storing or trading.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

If you wear jewelry for their occasion, they are not subject to zakah provided they are not highly expensive relative to your family and peers.

It goes without saying that jewelry is not worn every day. Of course, it has occasions to wear and that is its use. It is like clothes; you don’t use all your clothes every day.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies