Can I Use Zakah Money to Help People with Chronic Diseases?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Can I Use Zakah Money to Help People with Chronic Diseases?

Khayri

Oct 16, 2018

Question

Is it permissible to pay from one's zakah on wealth to patients of renal failure, cancer and other chronic diseases who need blood but cannot afford it, as the government health grants do not cover its costs?

Answer

It is permissible to use zakah money to help patients who suffer from chronic diseases.

Answering your question, Dar Al-Ifta Al-Misriyyah, states:

A Muslim can use his zakah money to help the poor and the needy patients who suffer from chronic diseases. This is permissible provided that the patients are incapable of covering the cost of their treatment.

The poor and the needy fall under the categories of zakah recipients. God the Almighty says:

“Zakah expenditures are only for the poor and for the needy and for those employed to collect [zakah] and for bringing hearts together [for Islam] and for freeing captives [or slaves] and for those in debt and for the cause of Allah and for the [stranded] traveler—an obligation [imposed] by Allah. And Allah is Knowing and Wise.” (At-tawbah 9:60)

The poor — and likewise the needy — are among those whose income does not cover all or some of their basic needs such as food and drink, lodgings, clothing and treatment.

Source: http://www.dar-alifta.org/Foreign/ViewFatwa.aspx?ID=7753

About Dar Al-Ifta Al-Misriyyah

Dar al-Ifta al Misriyyah is considered among the pioneering foundations for fatwa [En. Religious verdicts] in the Islamic world.