Can I Give Zakah to My Widowed Sister?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Can I Give Zakah to My Widowed Sister?

Can I Give Zakah to My Widowed Sister?

Adel

Oct 13, 2017

Question

As-salamu alaykum. Is it allowed to give Zakah to my widowed sister?

Answer

Can I Give Zakah to My Widowed Sister

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

There is no harm in giving the Zakah to the widowed sister so long as she is in need of it.

Answering your question, Dr. Salah Al-Sawy, Secretary-General of the Assembly of Muslim Jurists in America (AMJA), states:

There is no harm in giving the Zakah to the widowed sister so long as she is in need of it. Rather, your charity is a charity and an act of kinship, in which case she has more of a right to it than another (person) that has the same need.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Dr. Salah Al-Sawy

President of the Shari`ah Academy and the Secretary General for the Assembly of Muslim Jurists in America