Can I Borrow Money from My Son to Pay My Zakah?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Can I Borrow Money from My Son to Pay My Zakah?

Dali

Sep 07, 2018

Question

My Zakah is due, but my funds are invested in a mutual fund and if I sell now, it'll be at a loss. Can I borrow money from my son to pay my Zakah?

Answer

Yes, you can borrow money from your son to pay your zakah as long as you believe you are able to pay it back.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

Yes, you can borrow money from your son to pay your zakah as long as you believe you are able to pay it back

In fact, it is better to do that because delaying the payment of zakah with ability to pay through this means is not permissible.

Source: www.monzer.kahf.com

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Dr. Monzer Kahf is a professor and consultant/trainer on Islamic banking, finance, Zakah, Awqaf, Islamic Inheritance, Islamic estate planning, Islamic family law, and other aspects of Islamic economics, finance, Islamic transactions (Mu'amalat). Dr. Monzer Kahf is currently Professor of Islamic Finance & Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Management, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University, Turkey