Straightening the Eyebrows: Permissible?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Women Issues > Straightening the Eyebrows: Permissible?

Hind

Nov 23, 2017

Question

Dear scholars, as-salamu `alaykum. I know that plucking the eyebrows is haram. However, if my eyebrows are very thick and unwieldy, can I do light shaping to straighten them out? Jazakum Allah khayran.

and

Answer

Some jurists permit light shaping of eyebrows if they are thick and hairy in a way that they harm the eye or appear so wide and thus displease the husband.

Regarding your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, who states,

The word used in the Hadith is nams in Arabic, which means plucking the eyebrows. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) considered plucking as distorting the creation of Allah.

However, scholars who have studied the issue in detail have concluded that if a person’s eyebrows are unusually thick or unwieldy, then he or she can straighten them out. This is not considered nams or plucking. Allah wants us to look neat and tidy, and by trying to appear neat and tidy we are not distorting Allah’s creation, rather we are only enhancing it.

Dr. Muhammad Bakr Isma`il, Professor of the Exegesis of the Qur’an at Al-Azhar University, adds,

It is known that plucking eyebrows is forbidden. However, some jurists permit light shaping of eyebrows if they are thick and hairy in a way that they harm the eye or appear so wide and thus displease the husband. If it pleases the husband that they are shaped lightly, there is nothing wrong in doing this just to please the husband. As for extreme shaping or plucking, it is not permitted.