Can I Wear Clothes Worn During Menstruation?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Women Issues > Can I Wear Clothes Worn During Menstruation?

Basimah

Nov 11, 2017

Question

As-salmu `alaykum. I had my period. Is it permissible for me, after the period ends, to put on the clothes that I was wearing during my period or must I purify them again?

Answer

Clothes

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

It is allowed to wear the clothes you were wearing during menstruation as long as they are pure.

In his response to the question, Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid, the prominent Saudi Islamic lecturer and author, stated:

There is nothing wrong for a woman whose period has ended to put on the clothes that she was wearing whilst menstruating, so long as they are still clean and pure and none of the menstrual blood got on them.

But if some of the menstrual blood got onto the clothes, then this part must be washed before Prayer.

A woman came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said, “Menstrual blood may get onto the clothes of any one of us; what should she do? He replied, “She should scratch it, then rub it with water, then wash it, then pray in it.” (Al-Bukhari)

So, Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) enjoined purifying the clothes before wearing them for Prayer.

About Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid

ًA well-known Saudi lecturer and author